Sunday, March 30, 2014

Azuma-Bukuro Bag Work Shop

 I taught a sewing class at Junk Evolution in South Bend last Wednesday. The project was sewing a Japanese Azuma-Bukuro Bag with pillow cases. It was a beautiful day and I was so happy that we all had a fun time in a very cool atmosphere in the shop! I am grateful to Char and Linda from Junk Evolution who organized this event, and my participants who are so fabulous and delightful!

I made some sample Azuma-Bukuro Bags for the class. These are two of them. The bag is reversible and made of two pillow cases. An amazing fact of making this bag is that you only need to sew three straight lines to finish this bag.

 With vintage flower print and gingham check.

 Another vintage flower in softer color and stripes.


Ready for loading stuff that I need for teaching into my car. An ironing board and sewing machines etc.

 We had four sewing machines from four different eras :-p. One of my machines is 20 years old and one is about 10years old ( I assume). Linda's machine was only hi-tech computer machine which is only a couple years old. The last one was Char's grandma's and it definitely has a vintage and heavy duty looking! ( Still works fantastically! )

Ladies working hard with the machines.

Very cool environment for sewing!

One very happy thing about this work shop for me was everyone was able to take home a finished bag and told me it was fun! There are photos of their master pieces (and portraits).

 Love the shabby chic flower pattern.

 Zebra print x pink. Stylish. Cannot believe this was made of pillow cases!

 Purple gingham check and soft flower print. I love the sweet spring colors.

There are more options of combinations of patterns and colors in photos below.This one I used two fabrics for exterior.
 Those two photos (above and below) are of the same bag's outside and inside (reversible).

 This is another sample of using two fabrics for exterior. Cool and sophisticated look.


 Look at these smiles. Well done ladies, well done. (by the way, the wall color which they change every month and the cabinet they refinished, aren't they so beautiful? JE is such a cool store in this town. They always surprise me with their ideas and good taste.)

The finished bags look so different. Fabric choice gives personalities to it. Some are sweet or chic, and others are modern or stylish. I hope everyone will enjoy their new bags for coming warm season. Happy sewing!



No comments:

Post a Comment